Although electric vehicles only make up a third of all cars on the road, studies show that more than half of all global passenger vehicle sales will come from electric vehicles (or EV) by 2040. Coupled with an increase in charging infrastructure around the country, this means there’s a growing demand for shipping and transportation for electric vehicles all over the country.
Like a regular car, there are many reasons you might have to ship your electric vehicle: Maybe you’re moving, selling your vehicle, or just prefer to fly while your car hits the road. However, unlike regular cars, there are potential dangers to watch out for when shipping EVs, and your chosen auto transport company that can handle such precious cargo is essential.
That’s where Guardian Auto Transport comes in: As a leader in the car transportation industry, with more than a decade of experience, excellent customer service, and thousands of stellar reviews, Guardian works hard to ensure that the transportation process is simple and that your car reaches its destination quickly and without issue.
Get a Free Quote
It’s never been easier to get a free quote with Guardian’s instant quote feature. All you have to do is enter your car, location, and destination information. If you like what you see, you can conveniently book through the link sent to your email or call one of our expert agents at (877) 303-3990 to confirm booking details!
We Pick Up Your Car
After you’ve booked your pickup date, the rest of the work is in Guardian’s hands. You’ll be in direct contact with your agent and the driver as he travels to your location. The driver will also do a 22-point inspection on your car before loading.
Safe & On-Time Transport of Your Electric Car
Electric cars require a little extra care during transportation, but you can trust that it’s in good hands when using Guardian. Our drivers will keep in contact with you throughout the entire shipping process and let you know when they’re close by for delivery.
After drop-off, the driver will conduct a second 22-point inspection to ensure that your car is in the same condition as when we picked it up.
Electric cars are on the rise, which means that shipping companies need to adjust to these vehicles’ transportation needs. Here’s what you need to know about shipping your electric car.
What’s the Difference When Shipping an Electric Car?
The significant difference in shipping your electric car versus a traditional vehicle is that electric cars have much larger batteries. These batteries are similar to the rechargeable units found in your laptop and cellphone. However, as a clean energy alternative built to compete against gas-powered vehicles, these batteries last longer and provide far more power.
The power of EV rechargeable batteries comes at a price. On the whole, these larger batteries contribute to a heavier car, which may translate to additional costs for many carriers and consumers.
Another thing to keep in mind about transporting these batteries is lithium-ion, which requires extra-safe packaging steps.
Are There Any Regulations For Shipping An Electric Vehicle?
Because of these large lithium-ion batteries, there are extra shipping regulations for shipping electric cars.
All lithium-ion batteries can be dangerous and are considered a hazardous material by the Department of Transportation. Classification as such means that you’ll need more licensing, specialized equipment, and a “Dangerous Goods” label.
Is It Safe To Ship My Electric Vehicle?
When electric cars first came out, there was a significant public safety concern because of the extra-large lithium-ion batteries.
There were a few cases in which electric cars were catching on fire due to overheating. Such batteries produce such a large amount of energy to overheat, melt aluminum, and catch fire quickly. This occurs when the oxidizer and fuel are contained inside the battery, and temperatures get too high.
However, many electric car manufacturers like Tesla have put in new safety measures like liquid cooling systems, three-fuse layers, sensors that can detach in high temperatures, and overcharging protection.
Even so, there are special regulations when transporting electric vehicles with lithium batteries. Before transport, you’ll need to secure the battery to prevent any movement or short-circuiting. Guardian drivers can identify and survey electric cars to ensure safe transportation.
How Should I Prepare My Electric Car For Shipping?
Although your electric car will undergo a thorough 22-point inspection upon pickup, it’s essential that you also take time to prepare your vehicle before it’s time to transport.
You should always take your car to a trusted mechanic before a state-to-state or national transportation shipment, who will be on the lookout for common car issues, such as:
- Potential leaks
- Electrical issues
- Mechanical issues
- Fluids are filled up
- Tires have air
- Battery is charged
Additionally, you should take a few minutes to ensure your car is clean and in good shape:
- Don’t leave any valuables or personal items in your car.
- Take pictures for your records in case damage occurs during the shipping process.
- Double-check that your insurance policy covers potential damages your vehicle may experience during shipping; also verify with the carrier’s insurance policy to see what is covered.
- Deactivate and turn off automatic systems like car alarms and toll passes.
- Ensure that you have an extra set of keys.
- Remove highway toll transponders to avoid charges while the vehicle is getting transported
Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to drain your battery before shipment. The vehicle will get only when it’s being loaded and unloaded.
Do Electric Vehicles Cost More To Ship?
Lithium batteries as powerful as those in electric vehicles are heavy, causing increased weight, which affects the overall cost for most carriers.
Shipping an electric car may also require additional footwork on the transport company’s time, like lithium battery education, obtaining specific licensing, and providing special equipment to move batteries safely.
However, Guardian does things differently and doesn’t charge extra for electric cars. This is because Guardian knows that the vehicle will remain turned off during the entire trip, ultimately reducing any fire risk due to the lithium battery.
How Long Does It Take to Ship Electric Vehicles?
Since your electric car will be loaded onto an auto carrier and won’t require any stops at charging stations, shipping times won’t change and should take the same amount of time as it does to ship a gas-run car.
Here are general time frames when it comes to how long it may take to ship your car:
- 100-500 miles: 1-2 days
- 500-1000 miles: 2-3 days
- 1000-1500 miles: 3-4 days
- 1500-2000 miles: 4-6 days
- 2000-2500 miles: 5-7 days
- 2500-3000 miles: 7-10 days
The mileage and timing are standards set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, which has specific property-carrying regulations. Drivers are allowed to drive a maximum of 11 hours after taking ten consecutive hours off duty.
What Should I Expect From Electric Car Shipping Services?
When shipping your car, auto transport services are only as reliable as the shipping company you work with. Guardian is a leading figure in the auto transport industry and guarantees five necessary standards that our team never fails to meet:
- Company licenses — Guardian Auto Transport maintains consistent registration with the Department of Transportation and the FMCSA. Our team can provide you with registration numbers as well.
- Transparent and comprehensive quotes — Unlike other carriers, your free quote is accurate down to the last cent. Our agents give you a thorough breakdown of exactly what to expect without any surprise fees or taxes, meaning that you’ll never feel caught off-guard.
- 99.4% satisfaction rate and great reviews — When you take a look through trusted review sites like Yelp, Google, the Better Business Bureau, or even our website, you’ll see nothing but a near-perfect satisfaction rate along with glowing reviews. All of the reviews praise the way we work with our customers, which means that we’re doing something right.
- Insurance coverage — Many car shipping companies don’t include insurance coverage in your quote, but Guardian does. We know that sometimes life happens, even if we do our best to prevent any issue. Our insurance coverage policy protects every aspect of your car as long as it’s in our care.
- Journey matters as much as the destination — The experience of a safe, communicative journey while on the road and reliable car delivery every time is what brings our customers peace of mind. We’re not just any car transport company: We’re Guardian, committed to protecting your most precious cargo, and we’re game-changers.
There’s no doubt that electric vehicles are the car of the future. They produce nearly half the greenhouse gas emissions compared to standard vehicles, so the demand for electric vehicles will only grow. However, their unique design and power features require more customized services, especially when it comes to car shipping companies.
With Guardian, you can trust that your electric car is in good hands. We thrive on making your experience as simple as possible, and our team is prepared to show you how easy it is when it comes to shipping your electric car state-to-state or nationwide.
If I ever need my car shipped again I will be sure to utilize Guardian. No hassle, much communication and plenty updates along the way. Thanks a lot Guardian.
Ty in customer service was amazing! Answered all my questions with no hesitation. Definitely would recommend using Guardian.
I received great pick up and delivery service of my vehicle from CO to VA. The driver was timely and efficient and I appreciated the daily calls for updates. This company was highly focused on satisfaction and I would highly recommend!